Monday, April 30, 2007

I still believe.

It’s always moving to see a big group of soldiers, but especially so at the airport.


I noticed them as I was working my way through security. A large group waiting to board their airplane. They were at gate B29; I was flying out of B30.




The sight was emotional for everyone, although I’m certain the most was felt by the soldiers and their families. Men clutching their wives and kids...Moms and dads embracing their soldier sons & daughters...the USO lined the path to board the plane and handed out gift bags and water as they hugged and shook hands with our soldiers.


I made eye contact with one of the soldiers who stood a few feet from me. I knew the answer, but curiosity made me ask...“Where are you going?” One quiet word came out of his lightly clenched jaw ... “Iraq”. All I could do was thank him and shake his hand. I saw the strain in his face as he turned away to board.

A woman hugged her Army husband as her mom held their brand new baby and watched with tears rolling down her face. One final kiss and a hand holding until the final fingers slipped apart...






A young Sergeant hugged his wife and their 5-ish-year old son until all others had boarded. Grandma and Grandpa were there too. It was time. As this Sergeant walked down the aisle of USO supporters, his son ran after him... “Daddy!”

Everyone cried and solemnly watched this group of volunteers. All of these soldiers making a sacrifice. Restless nights from anxiety and the fear of battle. Missed first words and Baptism. The first T-ball game. And...God forbid...life.


They’re doing it for us...and for our country. Forget about the politics...forget about the mission and whether or not you agree with it. You aren’t going to agree with everything...that’s American and it’s ok. ...it’s better than ok; it’s right.

But our soldiers deserve our respect. All the time. No matter what. Hundreds of thousands of their brothers have sacrificed throughout our history in wars against hostile nations...peacemaking missions...and conflicts against extremist groups. They safeguard our freedom...that’s all there is to it.

But what are you doing? Are you still flying your Flag? Do you even have one that’s in good condition? Have you written an email to a soldier or service family? Is there a yellow ribbon on the tree in your parkway? Do you stand for the Color Guard at a parade? Sing the National Anthem? It really doesn’t take much.

I still believe that we’re a great country. ...the best. I still respect those who protect it. I still want them to feel that. And I still believe in America.

6 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger Jim V said...

Not much to add other than "I agree."

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

~Aim

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy sent me here when you first started blogging and I've checked back regularly for the humor.

That said, this was so amazing and heartfelt. I agree wholeheartedly and appreciate every word written.

God Bless,
Jana

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger bill voigt said...

Jim, glad I found your blog. Actually, my brother Jim V alerted me to it. I too fly weekly to the East Coast, so like you I have also seen a lot of soldiers at the airports. Mine are PHL and ORD.

I may not support this war, but I, along with a whole lot of others like me, have learned to separate the war from the warrior with the utmost respect and reverence.

If you're ever in PHL in the American Airlines wing Thursday nights post a blog and maybe we can have a beer (or a Pepsi ;) ) while waiting for our flights to be delayed.

Bill

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Jim V said...

Flight cancelled in New York, and yet no new post.................


B
L
A
H

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Jim V said...

Either the airline industry has made some dramatic improvements in their on-time performance, or

YOU ARE SLACKING OFF MY FRIEND!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home